What you put on your plate and in your mouth can support or diminish you and your life. Here are 10 health-packed foods that can improve your body and your life from the inside out. Happy spring eating!
1. Dandelion: Dandelions have been used for centuries to treat liver problems. The greens are rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as beta-carotene and antioxidants. Taking a dandelion supplement can help improve production of bile in the liver and the real dandelion greens are even better.
2. Ginger: Ginger root, a diuretic, helps the kidneys flush toxins from the body.
3. Blueberries: Blueberries are the ultimate brain food. The tiny fruit packs a big punch with the highest concentration of antioxidants per serving among fruits. They also help boost neuron signals in the brain.
4. Salmon: Omega-3 fatty acids, the unsaturated fats found in salmon and other fatty fish, help reduce the risk of heart disease. The American Heart Association recommends that people eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids at least twice a week, ideally wild caught rather than farmed.
5. Avocado: Avocados are high in vitamins C, B6, E, K, as well as potassium and copper, all of which work wonders for the skin. The fruit helps restore hair’s luster as well.
7. Broccoli: Broccoli helps condition hair. The vegetable is high in vitamins A and C, which the body needs to produce sebum, an oily substance secreted by hair follicles to keep it healthyand shiny.
8. Flax Seeds: Flax seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and protein, which help build muscles.
9. Jalapeños: Jalapeños contain capsaicin, an active component of chili peppers that has potent antibacterial properties. Capsaicin stimulates secretions that clear mucus from your nose, which relieves nasal congestion and helps fight and prevent sinusitis, or chronic sinus infections.
10. Celery: Celery is one of the best foods for teeth. The amount of chewing required to break down the crunchy vegetable increases the production of saliva, which helps destroy bacteria that cause plaque.
11. Sunshine: Sunshine is not a food, but it is the best source of vitamin D, which is produced in the body in response to sunlight. Without vitamin D, our bodies cannot properly absorb calcium, and our bones become weak and brittle. Vitamin D supplements are recommended when you aren’t getting enough real sun.